Markdown CV: why and how I rewrote my CV using Markdown

I always found updating my CV a painful, but necessary process.

I’ve decided to rewrite it in a new way because I needed to:

  • make the update process faster (going back to be a freelance means I have shorter gigs)
  • focus more on the content and leave aesthetic concerns in the background (I used to write my CV with Adobe Illustrator…)
  • manage multiple versions (I needed a version focused on my developer experience, and another version more focused on the team leadership skills)

There is a common saying in the Agile community : if it hurts, do it more often. That’s the spirit behind, for instance, having more frequent releases. By doing it more often you are guided to make it easier.

So I started to look for ways that would allow me to update my CV often, and I came out with a solution based on Markdown.

The solution

Markdown CV is basically just a script and a template I use to generate nicely formatted PDFs out of Markdown syntax.

The process is fairly simple.

  • one file written in Markdown contains all the content
  • the file is converted to HTML using github-markdown Ruby gem
  • a basic string replacement adds a tiny extension to the language (read further down)
  • the HTML content is injected inside an HTML/CSS template and saved on the build output folder
  • wkhtmltopdf is used to convert the HTML file to a PDF file

Augmented Markdown

Why Markdown? For two reasons:

  • Markdown helps me focus on the content, clearly separating the design
  • being simple text, versioning and branching (using Git) is easy and effective

However, Markdown has also a very limited set of features.
While converting my old CV to Markdown I realized I needed something more.
Using standard Markdown I couldn’t find a way to escape from the boring single-column layout.

So while trying to remain true to the original spirit, I’ve added a new syntax that allows me to identify blocks of content.

It’s as simple as this:

## Here is a title


## Here is another title


This is going to be rendered as:

<h2>Here is a title</h2>

<div class="aside">
    <h2>Here is another title</h2>

Using a unique identifier in square brackets at the beginning of the line I can now identify a block of content, that will be rendered as a </div> tag with the same class name as the identifier.

I can now style that block as I need. In the example the block is floated to the right of the page.

Note how ensuring that these identifiers are semantic and not stylistic is now up to the writer.

PDF Pages and Web Pages

One interesting challenge I had to face was ensuring that a free-flow markup language such as Markdown could be nicely rendered in a paged medium.

CSS2 have a lot of useful new functionalities that allow some tuning of how the content should be split between pages.

Unfortunately I couldn’t make the @page CSS directive work with wkhtmltopdf, but I could still rely on CSS properties page-break-* to limit or enforce page breaking.

After some failed experiments I settled for a semi-automatic solution. This single CSS property is the key:

p, li, .block, .aside{

First of all, this is forcing wkhtmltopdf to never break a page in the middle of a <p> or <li> tag.

But it’s also applying the same rule to a custom class “block”. This class is part of a div, generated using the extended Markdown syntax.


# This title...
## ...and this subtitle...
...and this paragraph, are always going to be rendered on the same page, as part of a consistent block of content.


This trick is a compromise. Using a bit of extra semantic we are still ensuring that the Markdown doesn’t have to programmatically define page break, but at the same time we are guiding the HTML/CSS engine in rendering blocks of contents together.


Feel free to fork the Github repo and experiment with it.
Check the file for more details.


2 thoughts on “Markdown CV: why and how I rewrote my CV using Markdown

  1. Kim Callis

    I keep seeing different ways to do PDF versions, but is there any way to also be able to make a “.doc” format as well. I was doing pandoc, but the css was not overly decent and so I have been looking for a decent template that allow for a nice M$-Word conversion.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s